Favorite Quote of the Week

“Technology alone can make us neither free nor self-directed. The key lies with the individual, not the institution.” – Ken Carroll

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Week 3 -- The Transformation of Reading with Digital Devices

The surge of eBooks and eReaders is another reminder of the kind of impact new technologies can make on the way we learn.  This week’s readings and discussion forum posts have taught me a lot about the potential impact of the eReader surge on the world of education.  I do not have much experience with an actual eReader, but I have had access to several digital resources for the classes I have taken over the past two years.  Two of my children received eReaders for Christmas this year, so I’m becoming a bit more familiar with them.
As I consider the way reading a book is changing, I compare it to the way my writing methods have changed over the years.  When I was first in college nearly twenty years ago, I initially wrote all of my papers out with a pen on paper.  I would then type the final copy on an electric typewriter, which I thought was much advanced beyond the standard typewriter my mother was used to.  Now, I can’t imagine writing any paper without my computer, using all of the editing tools that are so easily accessible. 
Word processing software for computers has transformed my writing process.  I now edit by copying/pasting text, highlighting sections that need to be changed, and considerable brainstorming and rearranging of my initial thoughts and scribbles.  In my opinion, this new way of writing is much more efficient than the pen and paper process I used before.  While this is true, I have not given up my pen and paper altogether.  I still like to take notes on paper, write personal notes to friends and family, and keep a written journal.  I use digital tools when it is most efficient for the task at hand, but continue to use traditional tools when that is preferred as well. 
I imagine that in the years to come, I will become more and more comfortable with reading a digital book.  While it seems a bit strange to me now, I am sure there will be increased efficiency in some respects.  Digital textbooks make the most sense to me.  It is quite feasible to imagine students of all ages carrying around an ipad or a Kindle to access their school reading materials.  Software that enables highlighting and note taking make these devices even more popular to the modern student.  As Jennifer Wortham points out, eReaders have the potential to make reading much more of a “social” activity as applications are developed that allow the sharing of books and personal reading reflections with friends (2010). 
With that being said, I believe that “old fashioned” printed books will not become obsolete.  There’s just something about curling up with a traditional book that cannot be replaced.  The most special books in my library will continue to be in a paper format.  Regardless of the format, reading is important.  I hope my own children will take advantage of emerging technologies that may make reading more fun and/or efficient.  As they have shown me so far, though, since having personal eReaders, they’re not ready to give up their love of a printed book.  Again, some things never change!
References:
David Pogue (2010, November 4). The Trouble with E-Readers. Scientific American. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-trouble-with-e-readers
Jenna Wortham (2010, November 11). Social Books Hopes to Make E-Reading Communal, New York Times.http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/11/social-books-hopes-to-make-e-reading-communal/





1 comment:

  1. Lynn,
    Perhaps you will share how your children like their ereaders before the end of this course (give them a little time to form an opinion :-)

    I hope paper books never disappear. I really enjoy my paper books. I read digital material too. Mostly research papers or material that is provided in pdf format. I am hoping to purchase an iPad 2 once it is released so maybe my reading habits will change some. Although I don't see myself giving up paper books. Besides if you take an ereader to the beach I'm not so sure sand, water and suntan lotion would be such a good mix :-)

    ~Cyndi

    ReplyDelete