Favorite Quote of the Week

“Technology alone can make us neither free nor self-directed. The key lies with the individual, not the institution.” – Ken Carroll

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Week 2 -- A New Understanding of Literacy

Barbara Jones-Kavalier and Suzanne Flannigan say, “Literacy, in any form, advances a person’s ability to effectively and creatively use and communicate information” (2006).  Does “literacy” now include more than just proficiency in reading and writing?  Is digital literacy just as critical a skill to develop in our day and age?  Will people who lack computer, internet, social networking, texting, and mobile communication skills fall behind in our society?  If so, what are the implications for education? 
My attention turns once again to my own children who are growing up in a digital era.  I consider what skills they must have in order to be truly “literate.”  This is something I have not thought of before – how much recent technological advances are changing the way we, as a society, communicate.  In regards to social networking, questions arise as to how communicating via Facebook, Twitter, texting, email, etc. will change the way in which we relate to other people.  Will those who choose not to use these tools for interaction be hindered in their ability to communicate effectively?  Will those who choose not to allow internet usage in their homes deny themselves and their children access to a critical tool for gathering and sharing information?  Does the lack of digital literacy mean someone is “illiterate?” 
Sometimes technology gets overwhelming, and sometimes we are frightened by the uncertainties and apparent dangers that come with them.  I don’t think, though, that fear and intimidation are reasons to leave it all behind.  When we view technologies as tools, our perspective turns from the potential danger to the potential benefit.  People who use advancing technologies and who also have a core set of critical thinking skills and a strong moral foundation can do great things!  
Rather than run from technology, I think we need to prepare people to use it appropriately.  As Karl Auerbach says, “We need to teach ourselves how to be good users of that tool.”  (Anderson and Rainie 2010).  After reading this week’s articles, I have a new understanding of what it means to be literate in the 21st century.  However, as I said in last week’s post, my understanding of what it means to be human has not changed.  As with anything else, humans can use technology for good or bad.  Certainly, students need to be taught digital literacy skills.  Now more than ever, though, students need to be grounded in critical thinking skills and strong moral character so that they might use technology in a good way. 
With all of that being said, it’s important to reiterate that literacy also involves traditional reading and writing skills.  We don’t only live in a world of technology.  So, while we seem to be running forward with technology at a fast pace, let’s not forget to teach our students how read and write.  Those necessary skills of literacy will not become extinct in the midst of an ever changing world. 
References:
Janna Anderson and Lee Rainie (2010, July 2). The Future of Social Relations. Pew Internet & American Life Project. http://www.pewinternet.org/~/media//Files/Reports/2010/PIP_Future_of_Internet_%202010_social_relations.pdf

Barbara R. Jones-Kavalier and Suzanne L. Flannigan (2006). Connecting the Digital Dots: Literacy of the 21st Century. Educause Quarterly, 29(2), Retrieved on June 24, 2010, from http://www.educause.edu/apps/eq/eqm06/eqm0621.asp

3 comments:

  1. I am going to try once again to post a comment to your wiki - this time from my work computer. Maybe I will get lucky today!

    Your ideas are thought-provoking, especially when you state, "We don't only live in a world of technology". Dr. Bonk states "…people need skills in problem finding and problem solving, information synthesis, knowledge collaboration, originality, and critical analysis." (Bonk, 2009, p. 71)

    Technology offers a set of tools that facilitates literacy and skill development. The skills are still necessary for lifelong learning, whether or not technology is present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie,

    Glad it worked for you this time! Sorry that you've had some trouble before...

    Yes, regardless of technologies present, we need certain skills. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the "flash" of technology and forget that it's just a tool. Using it properly is the key to the many benefits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn,
    Great prompts for thought!
    I agree "technology" is a virtual bag of tools to use to do an assortment of activities. Being able to use those tools helps navigate the Internet frontier. It's funny to still refer to the Internet as a frontier but I think it still is because it is ever changing and the way we use it is changing as well.

    I'll admit that I don't do Facebook. Not because I don't think it serves a purpose but because my sons were in college when Facebook was first started and only available to college students and not all colleges were on board at first either. It belonged to them and their generation. It was special to and for them. When Facebook opened up to everyone I still held back because my sons all have accounts and I felt like an intruder (my sons didn't care if I had an account or not, these feeling were all mine)

    Now I feel like I need an account because so much communication takes place on Facebook. I'm feeling a little out of the loop. Not because I don't know about it. It's not an awareness issue but people will say "We have a rally down state concerning the legislature and all the info is posted on Facebook"

    So I agree that knowing how to use a tool is key. For me with this one tool, it also necessitates actually using the tool. I get how to use Facebook because it's like so many other online social networks but as communication continues to grow online so does my need to use this tool.

    ~Cyndi

    ReplyDelete