Favorite Quote of the Week

“Technology alone can make us neither free nor self-directed. The key lies with the individual, not the institution.” – Ken Carroll

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Week 8 -- Wikis, Wikipedia, Wikibooks, and Collaborative Writing

When I was little, I really never thought that I could create something.   This may sound strange to some people…as I get older, I’m learning that there are people who actually like to invent and create.  I don’t think I’m one of them.  I don’t think much about inventing something new; I take what’s already available and assume that it’s sufficient for what I need.  As I write this, I realize that this is a pretty sad outlook, huh?
My own children have caused me to reflect on this.  Not only are each of them very creative, they also assume that they can do just about anything they want to do.  My oldest daughter has researched various publishing companies and has been asking from a very young age to send a book to a publisher…just like that, like it must be simple process!  One of my children was convinced that she was going to buy an old building and make it into a bookstore.  Most of my children have asked to start their own businesses, have created various things in this pursuit, and assume that whatever they make can be sold for a lot of money.  I don’t know what has inspired them in this way…maybe all children have these thoughts.  Maybe I did at one time too.  What is different, though, is that now creativity has a larger outlet. 
Our study during week 8 was on collaborative sharing through wikis.  My first thought when reading this information is that my children are growing up in an era in which it is very possible for them to contribute to something big.  They can post their writings to a blog, they can email real authors of real books, they can express their own creativity through various websites.  They can be a part of a collaborative wiki project.  This was not possible when I was younger. 
Over the years (I’ve been a mom now for almost thirteen years), I have struggled with how to encourage my children when they come to me with grand ideas.  Because it is not in my nature to embark on something completely new on my own, I hesitate when my children have their own, new ideas.  My first inclination is to redirect them to other, safer, easier pursuits.  But, I’ve begun to think a bit differently.  Now I realize that they are fortunate to be living at a time when it is easier than ever to share work with others and to create something that might be used by many other people. 
The Web 2.0 has opened doors for most everyone to make an impact.  No longer is it only the elite who become authors, movie producers, musicians, inventors, and scientists.  It is everyone.  I’m excited to have some tools by which to encourage my children in their creative pursuits.    And, who knows, maybe I’ll explore some ideas of my own someday too!


Bryant, S. L., Forte, A., & Bruckman, A. (2005). Becoming Wikipedian: Transformation of participation in a collaborative online encyclopedia. In M. Pendergast, K. Schmidt, G. Mark, and M. Acherman (Eds.); Proceedings of the 2005 International ACM SIGGROUP Conference on Supporting Group Work, GROUP 2005, Sanibel Island, FL, November 6-9, pp. 1-10. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.62.5337&rep=rep1&type=pdf

2 comments:

  1. Lynn, I hope you do explore some idea of your own some day and please let me know what it is because I will read it, visit it or use it because I know you will provide a solid, well thought out venue of expression. We do live in a different world of sharing and learning than the one we have experienced in our youth. It is exciting and ever evolving. You are right, doors are open for everyone to have a chance to make an impact!
    ~Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, I think that many parents in previous generations felt that they had to rein in their children's lofty ambitions in order to spare them from experiencing a crushing reality check. I don't think it was a very useful or humane practice but it was certainly common and I don't think that any harm was intended in most cases. But I sure am glad that things have changed for today's children - and for their parents as well. You are right that they have countless opportunities for creativity and self-direction that could hardly have been imagined for kids growing up in earlier times. It is not just the affordances that come with new technologies but also the changing learning environment that empowers kids to reach out and take hold of whatever intrigues them. In spite of the crisis reports we receive daily about the state of public education, there is really much to be excited about for young learners these days. Your children are especially fortunate to have a lifelong learner for a mother.

    ReplyDelete